Re: [OM] Water, was Nathan's PAD 26/1/2010: rain and shine

Subject: Re: [OM] Water, was Nathan's PAD 26/1/2010: rain and shine
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 17:47:08 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Andrew,

> Oh come off it. After I got back from the Pilbara a bit north of there
> it took weeks to get the red dust out of everything - cameras, lenses,
> intimate crevices....
> Red talcum powder.

Ya, it is like that up in the Pilbara, even up at Telfa.

I'm still amazed myself considering the dust and crap stirred
up on a lot of the roads in central WA.

The Central Goldfields though is primarily Basalt and Porphories
so the grains are bigger, and heavier (ok, the grain size is crap :o))

Sure if your silly enough to stand beside a dirt road with a camera out
when a vehicle's going past you are likely to have a problem later.

I have more dust problems here in Melbourne that I ever had in
Central WA.

And I'm dead serious, I never had a problem with dust in my lens
until I moved to Perth, even further up north, ie, Meekatharra and
higher my luck was probably more to do with keeping gear
stored in antistat bags in my large leather briefcase.

Somethings I always did, clean my gear afterwards with a
lab vacuum, not a blower and or cloth, I never change a lens
when I'm out bush, with two 2n's I would always mount the lens
I was likely to need before leaving a donga/hotel/motel/camp.

Favourite's were a 65-200 for general bush, and a 2n with a 24mm
for mine site photography.

The core farms were also normally away from the pits
with water cooled diamond saws so even photographing
core presented no problems with a 50mm and 7mm extension
tube.

Guess I was just lucky :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners
A friend is someone you call to help you move. A best friend is someone you
call to help you move... a body.