Re: [OM] your smile of the decade

Subject: Re: [OM] your smile of the decade
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:10:18 +1100
That's becoming the norm here. It says 'high school grad.' but in
reality, entry is so competitive that you'd need to be exceptional or
have relatives already in to vouch for you. The training is six
months, even if you have a degree. The entry process is by exam,
aptitude testing, interviews and psych evaluation - fairly rigorous.
It is unusual to find any cadet at the academy younger than 21y.o. and
many are in their mid-twenties, having spent some time preparing
themselves to apply.
However, given all that, ridiculous things still occur. Someone
pointed out after that dreadful Democratic Convention in Chicago all
those years ago that the Chicago Police were the best educated force
in the US. It made little difference. In joining the police you enter
a brotherhood with a rather suspicious view of the world. Years of
dealing with the dregs of society conditions you into an 'us and them'
attitude and every civilian becomes a potential antagonist or
criminal. It's a two-dimensional view of the world found in many who
constantly deal with social problems of various kinds.
Occasionally I speak with an ex-student - smart lad with a good
university degree and one year into the force. He was never
politically liberal in sentiment but his world view has become much
harder and darker. His first posting is a city area where sweeping up
the whores and addicts is routine. Grim work creates a grim outlook.
I can laugh at the nose-blowing incident but I can see where it's
coming from. Older, less well educated officer feeling left behind,
marginalised, seeks amusement or self-righteous justification by
becoming officious in the extreme - 'dress'd in a little, brief
authority.' Wasn't it the UK recently that an officer was punished for
making 'judgement calls' and deciding to let people off with warnings?
Perhaps he had that in mind? It's a fine balance between exercising
the law and applying common sense - not all officers are up to the
task so simply falling back on the absolute letter of the law is far
safer.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx