Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:46:02 -0800
On 1/4/2010 5:44 AM, John Hermanson wrote:
> and someone mentioned once that the "My Passport" 2.5" used up 2 USB ports
> for power.

That's not true for mine. It neither came with nor needs more than one
port on my computers.

On 1/4/2010 8:49 AM, JOHN DUGGAN wrote:
> Recently bought a 2 1/2 drive which came with a SATA cable and a Y shaped USB
> cable..and strange/confusing pictorial instructions. Turned out it would not
> work unless two USB connections to the laptop were used.

Remember, there are at least two factors at work here, the amount of
power provided by a particular USB port and the efficiency/power needs
of the device attached to it. The USB spec is one thing, the
implementation may be something else, better or worse. Many desktops
have more than one USB output device, and may vary in power delivery
capability between ports on front and back.

The one device I've got that came with a two headed cable advised that
whether both were needed depended on the computer. In fact, I didn't
need the second connection.