Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]

Subject: Re: [OM] HDDs & BU [was OT - new monitor setup]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 15:57:31 -0800
On 1/4/2010 9:55 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> Yup. And how about Wal-Mart?  Two absolutely identical packages of a
> product--one in Wal-Mart and the other in some other retailer. Identical
> products in every way except one.  The UPC is different.  Yup, they are NOT
> the same product. Wal-Mart insists that the supplier meet a price point and
> in order to do that the supplier provides a Wal-Mart version which has been
> cheepified somehow.
>
> It's amazing how much varience there is between packages of a particular
> name-brand coffee there are from different stores.

In the case of coffee, I would guess that you are right. There are,
however, other reasons why actually identical products have different
UPCs at different retailers.

One reason is marketing. I think this is where it started. Big chains
would advertise that they would match prices or even give the buyer
extra money if they found a lower price on the same product elsewhere.
The trick is, they get the manufacturer to give them an exclusive UPC,
and often a suffix on the model number. Then, they never have to worry
about the price guarantee, as no one else sells the "same product".

Another reason is guarantees. Warranty expense is a significant part of
product cost for some products. Sometimes, the same physical product is
sold with different UPCs to differentiate warranty length.

Moose