Re: [OM] Wanted: Light DZ telephoto zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: Light DZ telephoto zoom
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:28:14 -0600
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 12:01 AM, Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Joel.  I wasn't sure if anyone on the List used the 40-150 much,
> although I remember a thread about the relative apertures a few months ago.

I bought the entire 410 kit to get the lenses, mainly.  I wasn't so
interested in the weight but the size.  I thought it would match up to
the 330 for street snaps and so forth, but I enjoy the 410 more than I
reckoned I would, as it is so small!  The one issue is the right strap
lug, which rubs the fleshy part of the index finger.  Minor annoyance
at most.

The lenses are not particularly rugged, of course, with their plastic
mounts.  The hood reverses for storage, which means a lot of cranking
it on and off.  It's very convenient but takes some care to avoid
misalignment and mangling of threads and grooves.  The 40-150 seems
very sharp wide open, but it's such a slow lens to begin with.  Dreamy
bokeh, fuggedaboutit.  Marries up to the 410 nicely, which seems to
have a very mild AA filter.  Capture comes in sharp!  I think maybe
they beefed up NR on the 420 a bit?  I hear that sensor is just a
trifle softer.

> I do like the Autumn shots, and one that stands out is the moored boat and
> the river bank with the trees ...

Well, thank you.  My wife is fond of that one too.

I hope you get some solace for your (temporary!) infirmities.  I do
also recommend a good chiropractor as needed.  Mine however is balder
than I am.  It's all business between us.

Speaking of which, it appears that your chiropractor does massages?
I've never known one who does even therapeutic massage (though they
may employ such people them at their clinics).  Ours move joints
pretty much exclusively.  When that is happening, I forget for the
duration everything that is deemed to be pretty. ;^)

Where was she trained?  I'm curious, as the founding institution of
chiropractic is about 50 miles away from me, and even through
Hippocrates recommended spinal manipulations, the chiropractic arts
haven't really been mainstream in the USA for more than about 35
years.  Is it more or less common in the old homeland?

Joel W.