Re: [OM] Wanted: Light DZ telephoto zoom

Subject: Re: [OM] Wanted: Light DZ telephoto zoom
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 14:41:27 -0600

> By then I was long out. I'm thinking of the sixties. He was Dr. David
> Palmer, son of the founder of the Palmer school of Chiropractic, the
> original school for that dicipline. He make an amazing amount of money from
> the school, and put it into radio stations. He owned several 50KW stations
> and made even more.

Yes, and in fact, he was THE guy that started the chiropractors owning radio
stations thing. A trendsetter if there ever was. The dentists were in from
the beginning, though. I definitely came into the industry after his glory
days. I was in during the 80-90 drop-in build-outs which diluted the radio
market and ruined the profit margin for everybody.  Finally, dereg
completely trashed the industry with massive ownership by Clear Channel. We
suppliers made huge fortunes selling new gear and digitizing the studios.

Digital Radio Broadcast is coming, but frankly won't save the industry.
Content doesn't matter anymore. When the top-rated station in many markets
is National Public Radio, you know there is trouble in radio land. But is
television and print media any different? The current recession is just
accelerating the eventual demise of the old media.  The funny thing is that
the Internet is already becoming old media itself and we're going
full-circle into a soup-to-nuts AOL-like environment with our
iPhones/iTouches/iPads.

AG