Re: [OM] Chuck will be gone for a week

Subject: Re: [OM] Chuck will be gone for a week
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2010 16:33:00 -0200
This is quite interesting: the 'sickness' has "inertia", it continues
after the conditions which triggered it have stopped.
Even when not feeling sick, when my feet on firm land again, the
uncanny feeling that it is moving just as if I was on-board again is
conscious, and proportional to the triggering stimulus.
Made a quick reading about the area postrema
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Area_postrema>, after I found the
proposed explanation at wiki was (imho) too much teleological. It just
seems to me that the CNS 'bug' (not a feature at all !) is an increase
of dopamine concentration, at least there (same as opium alkaloids, a
few weeks ago I attended someone who suffered immediate nausea and
vomit after using tramadol 50mg only
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tramadol>).
My question is: why should the area postrema needs to receive afferent
input from the inner ear?

Far out of my knowledge, but this cannot be compared to what are
proper hallucinations. It's an oversimplification (imho) to think
hallucinations could be a result of a discordance amongst two
different sensory input
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_sickness#Cause>.

Fernando