Re: [OM] Focus screen

Subject: Re: [OM] Focus screen
From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:25:20 +0200
Technically impressive images, Dean. I am a user of the old (but a
tiny, pretty gem indeed)
20mm f/3.5 Macro (thanks to Clay), and even though it's almost two
stops slower than
the f/2.0, the amazing 1-11 and 1-12 focusing screens still actually
provide a
perfectly bright image at 10x magnification.

There is no current Digital SLR that I am aware of that ships focusing
screens
that work on the same principle of the Olympus 1-11/1-12 (i.e.
focusing on the
aerial image, and not on ground glass or plastic). I suspect that's
why they
are so bright.

Just for fun, you should try shooting a 1-12 with a normal (preferable
wide-angle
lens). You can't focus accurately because everything looks in focus,
but it's the
only time I've seen an SLR viewfinder be every bit as clear as a
rangefinder
viewer (e.g. Leica M).

I must admit, I am fantasising of attaching a GH-1 or Ep-2 to the back
of that
thing, it would be absolutely stellar for Macro work I think. I am
pretty sure
the electronically amplified live view would be great for focusing and
composition,
even if it's noisy / grainy.

This, and supertelephoto work, are the only two things that really
interest me
about the µ43 system. A 500mm field of view with f/2.0 brightness
would be mighty
nice, in addition to the double-your-effective-magnification macro.

I personally am sticking it out with B&W film this year, will dabble
in digital again
next year when Olympus stops releasing toys and releases a pro µ43
body - or
panasonic, or whoever. The Lumix GH-1 looks great, it's just.. not....
pretty (IMHO).

Dawid