Re: [OM] OT: When is Voigtländer going to wake up? (Micro 4/3)

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: When is Voigtländer going to wake up? (Micro 4/3)
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:34:24 +0000
Hi Dawid, Andrew and all,

From: Dawid Loubser <dawidl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>I see no company as being in a better position to inject some
>excitement into the Micro 4/3
>word than Cosina/Voigtlander.

Absolutely.

>we all know that the existing line-up
>of Voigtländer lenses can be
>mounted on a Micro 4/3 body, but that's generally only good for longer
>focal lengths, i.e.
>the small 40mm f/1.4 makes a beautiful 80mm f/2.8-equivalent portrait
>lens on one of these cameras.

However... that particular lens is no bokeh-king at all -- technically very
good, and really versatile with film, but no "beautiful" pictures from it.

IME, the smoothest, creamiest CV lens is the sadly discontinued Skopar 50mm
f/2.5 -- very compact, but surprisingly heavy! But the 100mm f/5 DoF
equvalence with Micro 4/3 may not be as nice. The 35/2.5 is smooth too --
and I don't mean 'soft' by any means!

>Or for something more exotic, their 50mm f/1.1 makes for a quite good
>100mm f/2.2-equivalent lens,

Yeah! Surprisingly well balanced on the Bessa R3A... but on mFT it's bulky!

>although performance at f/1.1 is not exactly stellar,

Still decent for such aperture... it does improve at f/1.4 (where it's
almost at good as the 40/1.4 @ f/2!!!) and the longitudinal CA and any other
aberrations seem gone by f/2.8.

>so it will in no
>way render equivalent to, say,
>a Zuiko 100mm f/2.0 on an OM body

The crop factor is the key... smaller formats will have broader DoF --
always.

>If voigtlander were to release a really good and small 17mm f/2 or f/
>1.4, and perhaps an 8mm (could be slow, like f/4)

I'd be happy with a 14mm f/2 and/or a 10mm f/2.8.

>custom-made for Micro Four Thirds - even with manual-focus

>Purpose-designed for the mount, with electronics etc. They have the
>mechanical, optical and electronic
>skills for this already

They've already made manual focus lenses for AF (D)SLRs, the SL2 series,
with all electronics involved except AF drive -- even with electronic
diaphragms for the EOS mount, recently released (somewhat more expensive)

>Most m4/3 lenses have high resolution, but are complete dogs when it
>comes to distortion and chromatic abberation.

That's OK to me. Distortion and (lateral) CA are the only aberrations that
don't degrade the sharp definition of the image, thus effectively corrected
while demosaicing with a different partameter set -- we'll never see these
lenses exposing film, anyway.

And other makers are doing pretty much the same...
 >They say it's to make the lenses small, but Leica and Minox have
>happily made much better, smaller, faster lenses for decades.

I understand that a 64-degree f/2.8 lens (like the M-Zuiko 17) for a
mirror-less camera has been a straightforward matter... in this particular
case I don't see the need for these tricks -- which I find OK for more
complex designs.

>A retrofocus wide angle will never be as good as a non-retrofocus
>design. They have to bend the light a lot more,
>and are inevitable never as good, or HUGE (i.e. Nikkor 14-24).

Absolutely.

>m4/3 alows ample space for a much better, non-retrofocus 17mm wide-angle,
>but Olympus chose to make it a retrofocus design, even though
>it's not at all telecentric like most of the normal FourThirds lenses.

Now I wonder if regular FourThirds lenses _are_ telecentric at all -- the
rear element should be larger that any non-telecentric lens of comparable
speed...

>They could have kept the size the same, made it an f/2, and it could
>have been a much better lens.

A _fast_ wide is always difficult, anyway.

From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Hey presto, it's slower than an SLR but it isn't slow. MF
>is just like the GF1 - enable focus assist, touch the focus ring and
>you get instant magnification for a couple of seconds (I'd like a bit
>longer)

In the GF1, the enlarged view keeps as long as you keep half-pressed the
shutter release. Or, if in manual focus mode or during AF-lock, until you
half press the release (or hit MENU).

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)