Re: [OM] IMG: Image from 1912, Gear Unknown

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Image from 1912, Gear Unknown
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:10:24 +0100
Hi Ken and all,

From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>

>> Well done.  Will our digital images survive as well?
>
>A print is a print is a print. As long as the image is printed it has a
>chance of survival. A box of scratched CDRs has as much a chance of being
>printed 50 years from now as a box of 50-year old scratched negatives.

Nope. You _can_ make an ugly, scratched print from a 50-year old scratched
negative.

A 50 year-old CD-R, even immaculate, is likeley to be unreadable -- my copy
of the ESIF on CD is already so :-(

But besides the state of the media, there's the format compatibility: is
there any chance nowadays to open a word-processor file for, say, CP/M
system in a 8" diskette??? And that's only 30 years back...

A local photo-lab has an ad at the door, saying somethong like "printed
photo, saved photo".

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)