Re: [OM] Storm Clouds

Subject: Re: [OM] Storm Clouds
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 22:34:46 -0800
On 1/24/2010 2:47 AM, Chris Barker wrote:
> I like both photos, but I don't think they're storm clouds.  They might be
> the clouds before a cold front, or even a squall, but not a storm.

I guess I don't know what a storm is? Lets see, the clouds come in like
that, the wind veers south, picks up, then it rains. The rain started
about an hour after the shot.

Certainly a cold front was involved, but not necessarily the leading
edge. Storms that look like whirligigs from above parade across the
Pacific. As the storm moves east and the cloud bands rotate, we get
varying degrees of stormy weather. If the center passes over us and it's
big and/or slow moving, we can get rather continuous rain for many
hours, even a couple of days. Otherwise, it comes in waves.

I've experienced squalls elsewhere, but we really don't have them here,
or VERY seldom.

When I was born, my dad was teaching meteorology in the USAAF. I don't
remember anymore the details of cloud types, etc., but he talked about
clouds and weather when I was a kid. I have been paying atention to
weather patterns in this same place for about 60 years. Back when I was
a student at Berkeley, I was known for my ability to predict rather
exactly when the rain would start from looking at the sky and the wind
vane on South Hall.

The whispy clouds in the foreground may be local bay phenomena, but
either the main ones are storms clouds or we simply don't have storms
here. :-)

Moose