[OM] Photographic contentment [was IS testresults]

Subject: [OM] Photographic contentment [was IS testresults]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:24:31 -0800
On 2/16/2010 4:03 PM, John Hudson wrote:
> 5D2 .....is that kirb side garbage pick up this week or next :-)

Perspective ...

The "old" 5D is up to 3 yrs, 9 mos and 8700 images. I have to say, I'm
still pretty darned happy with it.

Would I like a Mk II, sure, I guess so. I'd certainly like live view and
better high ISO performance. Then again, the old one doesn't have shadow
banding. More signiificantly, he larger file sizes would undoubtedly
lead to the desire for more computer power and storage capacity, so the
true cost is higher than the simple price.

Then there's lenses. I'm very happy with my little set of Tammys for
most uses. Not always the very sharpest, but generally sharp enough,
sometimes surprising. Get the higher res sensor, and will I be in for a
very expensive, and ergonomically less satisfactory lens upgrade?

So, the 5D continues to deliver great images and I'm content, even
happy, for the time being with my DSLR. No kerbs for it anytime soon.

Then there's the small camera category. Again I find myself happy with
what I have. After years of feeling like I don't have what I want/need,
the G11, while imperfect, fills so many of the things a small camera
should have and do so well that I'm for the first time paying no
attention to new high end P&S announcements.

I've finally realized that µ4/3, in any present forms, just isn't for
me, so I can relax when all the posts come through. They are just too
big with lens attached to fit my small camera desires and not up to the
IQ standard I want from a DSLR. Neither fish nor fowl here.

This is the first time in ages that my photographic GAS* has had only
very mild, intermittent flare-ups.

Not that I have tamed serious GAS in other areas, but those are stories
for other posts. :-)

Moose

* Gear Acquisition Syndrome