[OM] Linux very [OT]

Subject: [OM] Linux very [OT]
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 19:21:51 -0800 (PST)
I have two assignments given to me by my fav son and wife:

Build a room with traintables and install Linux on all computers at home.

I started researching which Linux version to install and how to do this.  Is it
me, or the installation of it has become exponentially more complex in the last
ten years?  I ran Linux on my machines at the end of the nineties and the
process was not so complicated...

So I want to install Linux on three computers.  I would like to be able to use
Linux and Windoz on two of them and only Linux on the third.  One of the
computers that will run both OS's is a Dell minilaptop.  For now I only care
for the open office apps and gimp, but dont mind installing an entire package
(2500 apps?)

I would like recommendations on a free OS, Debian and Ubuntu are the ones I
looked at, and clear directions how to do installation that would satisfy the
requirements above.  I dug into the plethora of info on both sites for an hour
and still dont have the instructions at hand...

Thank you very much in advance.

Boris