Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful

Subject: Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:09:54 -0600

> I have to agree with you, Ken.  I found our voltage low last year, and
> checked several neighboring homes as well.  When I found it to be a common
> problem, I called the utility company and had them check it out.  They
> eventually found a faulty breaker in one of their capacitor banks, which
> caused a low voltage situation on one phase.  When they replaced the
> breaker, all came back to normal. Fortunately, I did not lose any
> appliances.

Interesting. Those capacitor banks are quite necessary to reshape the
waveform. Instead of a nice rounded sine-wave, high load on your segment
will cause the lower voltage portion of the waveform to flatten to zero
leaving these nasty triangular spikes. If you place a FLUKE volt-meter in
your outlets, you'll see a proper voltage, but the RMS value is
substantially lower.  Waaay lower.

About the only way to really be sure about your household power is to place
a FLUKE oscilliscope across the leads and examine the waveform.

This is a very common problem in areas where you have mostly residential,
but there is one small manufacturing plant running high-power electric
motors. During startup or under load, the motors are drawing so much current
that it alters the waveform. the peak-to-peak voltage remains proper for
everybody else, but 1/2 or more of the waveform get's flattened to zero with
all sorts of little noise spikes.

AG (Fluke rules!) Schnozz