Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful

Subject: Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 13:15:51 -0600

> You're a funny guy. When I was in broadcasting, we would have power
> problems, and call the electric company. Because of our business and
> electricity use, they would usually look into things, but the final answer
> was almost always, You have to take what you get.

The biggest problem broadcasters face with electrical power is proper
earth-grounding. In some areas of the country, you can be as far away as
seven miles from the nearest electrical earth ground. Grounding an antenna
is one thing, because you create your own ground field that had to only be a
certain size in relation to the wavelength of the broadcasted signal. But
for electrical power as well as static drainage, you need to be able to
essentially get into the conductive soils. In parts of this world, there are
no conductive soils suitable for static drainage. Because you can't get the
tower to drain static properly, it becomes a lightning magnet.

This is a huge problem in areas of coal mining. For some reason the ground
in these areas is antithetical to static drainage. A lightning strike can
travel literally miles underground before eventually finding its way to
earth ground. A problem that the coal mining industry has fought forever.

AG