Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful

Subject: Re: [OM] Purchase of new camera case successful
From: "Jon Mitchell" <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 20:26:31 -0000
In theory, Chris, yes.  But in practise how many people actually know what
the requirements are or are capable of properly measuring the power supply ?
The electric companies are relying on this fact.

FWIW, we looked into this at work recently - problems at some of our sites
with very low voltage.  UK spec was changed recently to harmonise across
Europe.  I don't have the exact figures to hand, but it used to be something
like 220v in Europe and 240v in UK.  Now it is 230v in UK and the rest of
Europe.  How did they get away without changing all of the National Grid,
substations, etc. ?  They fudged the error-factor so now UK is something
like 230v +15%/-6% and rest of Europe is something like 230v +6%/-15%.
Phase is much more accurately defined, and has a far smaller margin before
it becomes "out of spec" - but that was always the same across UK & Europe
anyway.  In reality, nothing has changed in the power supplied either in UK
or rest of Europe, but now manufacturers have to cope with a wider voltage
range if they want to sell products across Europe.

Anyway, back to the point, yes - in theory the power companies are required
to maintain a consistent voltage (within an alarmingly wide margin of
error).  In practise, however, they regularly do not maintain this.
Especially in more rural areas.  But who can do anything about it ?  As
someone else said here - the general attitude of the power companies is "you
get what you're given".

Does it suck ?  Yes.  Does it bother me ?  A little.  I know a couple of
SERIOUS hi-fi nuts who have taken matters into their own hands and installed
some serious power-conditioning units (basically, AC-DC-AC conversion) and
run a separate ring-main just for their hi-fi components.  Can I hear a
difference ?  Well, yes - but more to the point is that the cost of the
hi-fi kit in question means it is worth a sizeable investment in power
conditioning to stop it going boom when the power drops (or rises) out of
spec.

Gosh.  2 topics in a week that I can reply to with some experience !  What
is this list coming to ... ;-)

Jon