Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:41:07 -0500
51mm is not a thread size.  It's the outside diameter of the lens barrel
having a 49mm filter thread.  The 51mm hood is a "slip-on" rather than a
screw-in.  It just slides over the outside of the barrel and locks with
a small thumbscrew.  I don't have one here (I'm not home) but my
recollection is that the screw does not bear directly on the barrel so
it won't mar the surface.  Take a closer look at two of these hoods
illustrated up front here:
<http://olympus.dementia.org/eSIF/om-sif/lensgroup/hoods.htm>

If you have a rectangular hood it needs a means of rotating the hood
independently of the filter thread in order to align the opening of the
hood with the film frame.

Chuck Norcutt