[OM] Whew, what a job

Subject: [OM] Whew, what a job
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 11:20:57 -0600
Unless I have to reprint something and except for one picture I think I need
to add, last night I finally wrapped up the printing of a major B&W job. I
told you all about the library project and it's now completed, except for
spotting, organizing and delivery. It took almost five packages of Adox MCC
110 11x14' paper to do it. Me thinks I didn't charge enough for this
nightmare.  ;) I think Karen is looking forward to having the house back
again. Half the living room floor was covered with drying prints last night
and the kitchen counters were covered in trays, bottles and a huge print
washer. The top of the washer and dryer as well as the utility closet are
lost causes and she just shakes her head.

A special thanks to Bill Barber for the print washer. It was chock full last
night on its inaugural usage. Another dose of silicone should address the
escaping combined atoms of hydrogen and oxegon. Another thanks to Joel
Wilcox for the eternal loan of the 35mm Shift lens. This lens was used for
the majority of the pictures.

The OM-4T, used for most of the shots was provided by Jim Timpe and James
Olsen. The OM-3Ti and motordrives by Wayne Shumaker. What is significant
about these gentlemen's actions is that they haven't just contributed to the
continued usage of the OM system, but MY continued usage of the OM system.
This is personal! I honor their contributions by using and promoting the OM
system every chance I get. On two or three separate occasions this past year
I've actually exhausted a battery on the motordrive. Rapid shooting isn't
JUST for digital anymore. :)

Lastly, the shots not using the 35mm Shift were taken with the 300 F4.5 and
35-80 F2.8 provided by Jim Timpe. Two exterior photos that made it into the
final collection were from the 300mm lens!!! I did use my 24mm F2.8 and 50
F3.5 for a couple of shots, but basically the above equipment was used for
the entire project. It's not that I couldn't have done it with what I had
before, but the coverage wouldn't have been anywhere near as complete.

I am very thankful and grateful for the support these individuals have given
me. I made extras of several pictures which will be on their way to these
guys.

I don't know when the pictures will end up on permenant display as the
library is responsible for the mounting, matting, framing and hanging, but
of the two sets being provided to the library, one goes into archival
storage. This project is the photographic record of the old, now abandoned,
library.

Oh, in case anybody wants to know--nearly all pictures were taken on Ilford
PanF with a final day's coverage on Fuji 100ss. The dynamic range (contrast)
of the scene was beyond the practical capabilities of digital and the color
of the lighting caused massive colorshifts making color photography
impossible. The ventilation system was inadequate for the building and many
of the photographs were taken upstairs in 100+ (F) heat.

Ken