[OM] Off-topic - severe hearing problem advice request

Subject: [OM] Off-topic - severe hearing problem advice request
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 20:13:44 -0500

Hmm,
Perhaps a meningioma with possible facial nerve injury and loss of the
acoustic stapedial reflex?  Acoustic neuromas  and the surgery for it
can result in damage to this protective reflex, thus leading to pain
with loud noise.   This can lead to "Stapedioparalytic phonophobia "
as the protective reflex is ablated--can be seen even in a deaf ear due
to the bone conduction as mentioned. There are  ipsilateral and
contralateral pathways, but hyperacusis from this with a contralateral
injury seems far fetched, though I am no expert in this area.  There
are MD's who specialize in hyperacusis and the flip side    --tinnitus.

If you inquire about most things endocrinologic, that would be a
hanging curve ball for me and I can answer with more confidence.
 A shooting from the hip but at least tried,
Mike

Oh, probably should have said the stapedius muscle contracts to pull on
the stapes to prevent injury with load noises--"auto-attenuate" the
signal as you say.
Perhaps that is the engineering term.

This list is such an incredible resource for things totally unrelated to
Olympus cameras so please bear with me with this request for help. One
of
our close friends had surgery a year or so ago to remove tumors in the
head
down in the area of the jaw hinge. She has lost all hearing in the ear
on
that side and has had an implant installed, but the problem has to do
with
the hearing on the other side. It is extremely painful for her to attend
church services because of the loud noise (Pentecostal church, rock and
roll
style music and volume levels). She has been trying earplugs and
external
hearing protectors (muffs) to no avail. I've been suspecting that the
problem is not noise entering the ear-canal, but noise external to the
skull
affecting the bones in the skull. After all, much of our hearing is
through
this means.