Re: [OM] Straight from the DIY departement...

Subject: Re: [OM] Straight from the DIY departement...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 07:47:05 -0500
Hyperfocal isn't too hard to deal with by guestimating focus distances.
  First pick an aperture.  Since you're using hyperfocal methods you're
presumably shooting landscapes and want optimal resolution.  Choose
f/5.6 which is about the smallest aperture you can use on 4/3 and still
avoid diffraction limits.  Next pick a few common focal lengths.  I'll
choose the marked equivalents for 28, 36, 50, 70 and 84mm which are:

FL      Hyperfocal distance
14mm     7 feet
18mm    12
25mm    23
35mm    44
42mm    63

Learn to guesstimate and focus to these distances.  Since you're
guestimating be sure to focus slightly beyond these points to be sure
you capture infinity if you're in error.  In other words, err on the
long side.  In many cases you may be able to pace off the distance if
desired.

I keep a small card in my wallet with a few selected focal lengths
computed at f/11 for use with my 5D.

Dr. Focus