Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood and 24/2

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5 hood and 24/2
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:33:46 +0100
Hi Nicholas and all,

From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
>On a somewhat unrelated note, I want to hear some opinions on the 24mm f2.0
>Zuiko.

I tried one of a fellow listée, and found it superb! I now have my own and
it's equally great. But don't forget the 24/2.8, another gem of the OM
system -- although already outperformed by its bigger brother at f/2.8.

I'm talking about contrast/sharpness/resolution here. The 24/2 is said to
have some noticeable waveform distortion, but that isn't an issue to me.
Another thing: the 24/2 is the largest of the Zuiko fast-wides, but still
quite compact compared to other brands.

On the other hand, I suspect that the 24s perform better than the 21s on
film, but on digital seems quite the opposite! In any case, all of them are
great -- some contrast loss at full aperture, as expected, but always with
great resolution.

But I can't say the same about the 35/2... I'm on the group of those who
'hate' it, despite its convenience. BTW, I tried the Nikkor-O but I don't
find it much better either. The best 35/2s I know of (for SLRs) are the
Canon FD (new bayonet version, very compact)... and the Russian Mir-24M. The
latter probably isn't as good technically, but has a very pleasant character
to me -- lp/mm and MTF curves aren't everything.

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)