Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: tapas and señoritas

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Nathan's PAW 6: tapas and señoritas
From: "Carlos J. Santisteban" <zuiko21@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 14:37:52 +0100
Hi Nathan, Brian and all,

From: Nathan Wajsman <photo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>This week I offer you tapas, cute dogs, lovely señoritas--what more can you
ask for? It is all here:
><http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws/?page_id=343>

Alt-6: Interesting composition, the red car makes it strong -- very well
exposed, having into account the 3-stops difference between sun and shadow.
And nice painting, too -- I'm sort of a Dali admirer.
Alt-10: I can't explain it, but this picture conveys some pleasant
feelings...
Alt-13: Looks like HOT arguing! Maybe because of money? :-) BTW, these pics
are from the GF1, aren't they? I can see some flare on Caroline's (?)
forearm... I'm suffering that too, I believe the culprit is the Hoya HMC
filter I keep for constant protection -- I never use the pancake's cap!

See the green flare on the Mini at <
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4160371421/in/set-72157622942215108/>
or the hip at <http://www.flickr.com/photos/zuiko21/4125502464/> Now, I'll
have to investigate that eccentric halos...

Alt-14: Pretty all the way -- and the pic too! :-) Seriously, you have
captured a very funny moment.
Alt-15: Nice and yummy! Unfortunately, the chorizos are halfway between the
kitchen's WB (as properly adjusted) and the bar's which is much more yellow
-- CFLs, I presume? I don't think it's easy to correct -- if feasible at
all!

From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>If I use Opera, my favourite, the RHS menu of all pages is laid over the
>picture

Pretty much the same happens to me sometimes with Safari -- I don't like to
keep the browser windows taking the whole screen...

>I am puzzled by what Tapas are; but never mind; a small detail.

In Spain, especially at the South (like me) or the East coast (like Nathan)
it's rare to get a beer (or a glass of wine) served alone... the 'tapa' is
the small dish serve with each glass -- you may easily replace a full meal
with three tapas or so.

As for the commonly accepted origin of the name... 'tapa' is Spanish for
'lid'; in ancient times, any served glass of wine was in danger of flies and
other insects drowning on it. Thus, the common practice was to cover the
glass with a protecting lid -- an _edible_ lid, usually made from 'embutido'
(<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embutido>)

Cheers,
--
Carlos J. Santisteban Salinas
IES Turaniana (Roquetas de Mar, Almeria)