Re: [OM] Travel Kit and Shooting Style

Subject: Re: [OM] Travel Kit and Shooting Style
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 10:35:00 -0600
>When traveling, light weight and compact are excellent virtues.  When I
>was actively shooting with OMs my 3 lens selection would be a Zuiko
>24/2.8, Zuiko 35-70/3.5-4.5 and Kiron 70-150/4.  I might add a 50/1.8 or
>even a 50/1.4 if I was concerned about low light ability and then likely
>leave it at the hotel or in the car unless I had specific reason to
>believe it would be needed.

Chuck, agreed re: size and weight.  But when it comes to Zuikos, it's not
necessarily the particular lens, but the number of them that you bring with
you that will bog you down.  Even the "big and fast" Zuikos are usually
relatively small (the "big whites" and long teles being an exception).
I've never really cared for zoom lenses on film cameras, but I have no doubt
that the Kiron is a stellar performer.  They made excellent lenses in the
70's and 80's.

>My tourist kit is 21/3.5, 50/1.4 and 100/2. They go everywhere with me.
>Lots of lens changes and a fairly big gap at the wide end, I know.

Martin, that's a great setup.  I really would love to try out one of those
100/2 Zuikos.

>I used to live in Japan in - near Nara - the temple heart land. Do visit
>Nara if you can and Kyoto - the old capital.
>Lots of Japan is very crowded and its HOT and humid in the summer and
>can be very cold in the north in the winter....

James, we'll definitely be spending time in Kyoto and Nara.  That's a number
one priority.  And I'm not too concerned about the weather, we're going at
the end of this month, so it should be nice.

>My favorite travel kit is far more than 3 lenses

Oh yes, I will be bringing more than 3 lenses for this trip.  But on the
last few trips I've been on, I've only brought along 2 lenses.  Vegas in
January I brought my 21/3.5 and 50/1.8, Austin in November I brought my
21/3.5 and 50/1.4, San Francisco last September I brought my 28/2 and
135/3.5, and Orlando just before that was my 24/2.8 (prior to selling) and
my 85/2.  But more on that later...

>IMPORTANT:
>Public toilets do NOT contain toilet paper so you must bring along your
>own supply when you walk around. Fortunately in big cities people on the
>street give away small packs of tissues. (has advertising on the outside
>wrapper)

Yes, thank you for reminding me!  I have been to Japan once before, but my
wife has not, and this will definitely be a bigger deal for her than for
me.

Iwert, very sweet setup.  I'm hoping to have a second OM body ready to go
before I leave, so that I can use both cameras in tandem like that (one body
for black and white, one for color).

Carlos, thanks for the comments re: the 24/2.  It just seems to be one of
the overlooked lenses in the Zuiko lineup, but everyone who has one only has
positive things to say about it.  As for waveform distortion, I don't shoot
a lot of architecture, so I don't think it would be much of a problem for
me.

As for my travel kit, well, it could be any wide, normal, and telephoto lens
out of my lineup and I'd be happy.  I definitely have my favorites though:
the 28/2, the 85/2, the 21/3.5 and the late sn# 50/1.4, in that order.  That
would be my four lens lineup if forced to choose.  But lately I've been
thinking about my gear choices and how they relate to the kind of
photographs I make, and I've been experimenting.  As I mentioned before,
over the past 6 months or so, any time I take a trip, I've been deliberately
limiting myself to two lenses.  Partially because I don't want to have to
spend too much time trying to decide what lenses to bring with me when I go
out, but mostly because I am trying to learn to adapt to the situation.  It
has also been useful in that it has forced me to learn my lenses.  And
it cuts down on indecision when "in the field."  When I have two lenses, I
only have two choices, and end up thinking less about what lens is
appropriate and more about framing, composition, lighting, etc.

As an aside, my favorite go anywhere, do anything kit of all time was my
Olympus E-410 with 14-42mm kit lens.  I only sold it recently because I'm
going to "upgrade" to an EP-1/2 with the 14-42mm kit lens.  My only
complaint is the small max aperture of the lens, but for daylight it was
unbeatable.  And interestingly, keeping with my two lens style, I almost
only ever used it at the extreme ends of the zoom range.