Re: [OM] 21/3.5, 35/2, and Zuikoholism

Subject: Re: [OM] 21/3.5, 35/2, and Zuikoholism
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 13:01:27 -0600

> I'm bemused by the suggestion that an OM + one lens is too heavy for
> carrying onto a plane when the carry-on weight limit is something like 7
> kg.
> I have taken MANY good photos with the OM + 35-105 combination through
> plane windows and never been challenged once. Mind you, as I say that, I
> realise that I have hardly travelled by air at all since the 11/9
> catastrophe,
> and all the travel restriction nonsense that has been imposed since.

Back in the days when I was flying all the time, my sole camera I took with
me most of the time was the OM-1md with Tokina AT-X 35-70 F2.8. Now, the
35-80 F2.8 on an OM body is the film "go kit" of last resort.

Of course, it did depend on where I was going and my planned schedule. If I
was travelling light, which meant my laptop in one bag and a small carry-on
duffel, then it was just one lens and one body. If I packed my big bag then
I carried a more substantial kit and sometimes even a tripod.

For maximum coverage with primes, I tend to stay with the multiples of focal
lengths. For me, that's the 24, 50, 100 and 200mm focal lengths.

For an event shoot, I can pretty much survive on two lenses. The 35-80 F2.8
and the AT-X 100-300 F4. I do keep the 24 F2.8 close, however, when I need
an ultrawide shot.

AG