Re: [OM] computer monitors by brand

Subject: Re: [OM] computer monitors by brand
From: manuel viet <manuel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 01:36:56 +0100
Le mardi 09 mars 2010 00:25:21, John Hudson a écrit :

> Getting an upgraded video card to handle a 1920 : 1080 resolution [ 16 : 9
> aspect ratio] is another but minor issue.

I have no opinion on monitor brands ; I currently have a Samsung LCD 19" 4:3,
mate finish, and didn't tried enough others to have even a vague feeling. I
hate mirror-like screens, and they're more and more difficult to avoid as time
goes by. FIW, I like mine and as far as I know, colours are quite faithful but
I never bothered to calibrate it with a spyder. I just used my eyes and some
colour and b&w scales. The prints I get back from the lab do compare well with
the onscreen colours when I politely ask the clerks to keep their hands deep
in their pockets while processing my files. Admittedly, I'm not a pro, so I
don't care for minute variations ; what I'm looking for is a close match
between what I feel by looking at a picture wether I watch it on my LCD or on
paper.

But I think you're making a mistake to take the videocard issue lightly.
Videocards do impact colours, and most are just plain terrible. In fact, most
*are* videogames dedicated cards. When it comes to 2D and photography, I swear
by Matrox (are they still in business ?). Most OEM GeForce have way too much
saturation and will simply smash your picture's subtle shades. Some higher end
cards can be profiled and have provision in hardware to be tweaked to your
rendition needs. YMMV, but it would be a shame to pair a good LCD to anything
but an image-dedicated card.

While I'm at it, be aware too most LCDs are 8 bits and limited to a
colourspace more or less like sRGB. There are wider gamut LCDs that work on
16bits per channel colour samples, so-called AdobeRGB screens. They're very
expensive and match about 90 - 95% of AdobeRGB colourspace. Again, I never
felt the need for one personnaly, but if you make a living out of your images,
they can be worth the premium.

--
Manuel Viet
37 rue de Lappe