Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 08:05:57 EST
Chris,

I'd never pay that for a 3Ti and yours (and mine) 4Ti in most respects gets
 the same job done but one thing you're overlooking is the law of supply
and  demand. I was involved a bit in VW's research in the 90s into whether
they  should market the "New Beetle". (I was wholeheartedly for it)  I also saw
 firsthand after it's sales introduction people running around who just
"HAD  TO" get one for their wife or kid approach new owners and offer them
$5,000  over list price if they'd sell theirs to them. Same thing several years
back  with the Toyota Prius. They were so wildly popular that Toyota could
have priced  it $5,000 higher and still sold a similar amount. But price
gouging is illegal  so the best they could do is price a used one that was on
the lot and could  actually be bought that day higher than a new one that the
buyer would have to  wait 3 months for delivery.

Same thing went on for years with Harley Davidsons. Dealers would charge
you $1,000 just to be put on the list to be offered one when they arrived.
But  there'd be a long wait. I have a friend who used to buy one every year
and turn  around and immediately sell it to someone else on the list for $1K
to 2K more  than he just paid for it.

George

In a message dated 3/10/2010 6:17:09 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,