Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 17:01:19 -0500

On 3/10/10 4:39 PM, "Sue Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris,
>
> Let me comment. No, what ever camera you won doesn't make you a better
> photographer, but I do agree with whoever posted on either MR's of Mike
> Johnson's website that if you think that photos with a hasselblad can be
> duplicated with a Lomo, you've gone too far. I am reminded of a story about
> a photographer who was asked by a well-regarded artist, "What kind of camera
> do you use?" the response- "What kind of brush do you use."

We're not comparing holgas to leicas here, we're comparing two cameras that
are nearly identical from the same manufacturer. As to artists and brushes,
this silly apocryphal tale is always brought up by photographers and it
shows how little most know about art. I went to art school and the artists I
went to school with as well as the painting professors were well aware that
brushes do make a difference and that cheapies don't work as well as more
costly ones, though there is a point of diminishing returns. Photography's
the same. Once you get to a certain quality level, the prices start
increasing very fast, while quality increases much more slowly.

> What a camera can do is re-energize you. I've had times during my 40 year
> career as a photographer where I burned out doing other people's photos in
> the misguided way they required. It became a job, and just that.
>
> Ten or fifteen years ago, I was getting burned out, and I got an Xpan. It
> totally changed my outlook and, not a pun, view. I won't expect that kind of
> thing to happen twice in a lifetime.

I can't say that I've ever felt that way. I can't imagine being burned out.
On the contrary, I have so many projects in progress and so much I want to
do that I will likely not live long enough to complete much of it.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography