Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay'

Subject: Re: [OM] Another overpriced 3Ti on the 'bay'
From: Chris Crawford <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 04:44:08 -0500
The expensive cameras I have were largely given to me. One of the 4t's was
given to me by Olympus America (long story...basically I had a cheaper OM
body they tried 4 times to do a simple repair on but kept screwing up so
they gave me the 4T after my father bitched about the incompetent
repairs...I was in high school when this happened). Another was a gift from
a patron who liked my work and wanted to help me, and the third was bought
in Santa Fe from a friend who sold it to me for $200, which was basically a
gift since they went for 3 times that at the time.

I have a lot of other expensive gear but its stuff that I bought for
function at prices I could afford because its what I earn my living with.

Conspicuous consumption, that is to say, buying overpriced things for
show-off value does irk me. I grew up in a middle class family that was (and
is) obsessed with money and appearances. My parents didn't give a damn if I
lived or died but I drove a $27,000 car in high school that my dad bought me
just to impress people and that was just the most outrageous of the costly
baubles that my sister and I were adorned with. I'd have much preferred a
family where there was some love.

Money can't buy happiness, once you have the basics of life covered. My life
and my fucked up family is living proof. The lifestyle my family lived was
and is WAY beyond their actual ability to pay, and I cannot begin to imagine
how much credit card debt they have. There are those who think that
expensive things bring happiness. If so, my family should be the most joyous
people in Indiana. They're miserable, as was I when I had to deal with them
on a daily basis. But they have a gigantic house full of costly shit!

I have a son who will be 13 in 2 weeks. He lives with me, as his mother has
health problems and cannot care for him. We are relatively poor, so we live
simply, but we enjoy life, and my son knows that he is loved. THAT is what
is important in life.

I doubt anyone here is envious of my 'wealth', as I have none. Everything I
own, except for my books, would fit in the back seat of my car (I know this
because when I became homeless in 2006, I put it all in the car and drove to
New Mexico where a friend offered me a place to live). I paid for the gas
and meals on the 3 day drive by selling an antique fishing lure that an old
man I knew as a teenager gave me (I like to fish and back then I collected
old lures). Damn thing was worth $1100! I've had some weird strokes of luck
that have rescued me at the worst times....and I am very thankful to those
who have helped me along the way.

So ,if I seem 'disrespectful' when I say something is overpriced or stupid
to spend money on, it is a belief forged in experience.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography