Re: [OM] FOTOFEST, OM-3TI, OM-4TI

Subject: Re: [OM] FOTOFEST, OM-3TI, OM-4TI
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 07:14:51 -0600
On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 10:20 AM, Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> All this talk about the OM-3t and OM-4t is making me drool!  I have been
> seriously questioning if I needed anything beyond my OM-1n and OM-2n, and
> you guys do *not* make it any easier.

Maybe I can help, Nicholas.  Make it easier, that is.

The 3T and 4T metering system is really good for shooting slide film.
It's good for any film, of course, but exposure metering for slide is
more critical.  If you shoot mainly print film, your current cameras
are accurate enough.

I bought a OM-4T in anticipation of shooting slide film in a slot
canyon.  I was anticipating exposures of up to 30 seconds based upon a
single spot reading in auto mode and I wanted to record that reading
to memory so that I could also shoot brackets based upon that reading.
 This is something that the OM-4T can do that the OM-3T can't.
Actually, I didn't know of another camera at the time that could do
it.  Under the same circumstances I shot color print film in my OM-2S
simply using normal auto and my exposures were just fine.  With the
OM-3T the best you could do is spot read at a stop that would allow
you to reason out a bulb exposure. If you've ever done a REALLY long
exposure in auto mode with an OM, it is an amazing and satisfying
experience to witness how wonderfully the camera manages it..

The OM-3T and OM-1 will shoot at temperatures that will knock out your
batteries and lock up an OM-4T and OM-2S and OM-2N.  However, my OM-4T
will shoot at temperatures as cold as I can stand, so it's really a
moot issue to me.

I love the OM-4T bodies as the build quality is great as compared with
my sometime favorite squeeze, the OM-2S.  The OM-3T has the same build
quality and drags the shutter better.  The latter quality is the one
thing that would recommend it to me, but I don't have much call to use
flash.

Even when Olympus was selling the OM-4Ti and OM-3Ti for around $1000,
I could never understand why the 3Ti was even close to the same cost
as the 4Ti in terms of what you get for the money.  I continue to feel
the same way about it.  I would have thousands of other ways to spend
the money that is being asked for an OM-3Ti these days before an
OM-3Ti would recommend itself to me.  But that's just me and my
interests and needs.

If I did not shoot slide film, I would try to find the nicest OM-2N I
could get and hang on to it for the ages.  If I were apt to shoot a
lot of slide film, I'd get a 4T.

Just another man's personal experience, but I hope it helps!

Joel W.