Re: [OM] FOTOFEST, OM-3TI AND CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION

Subject: Re: [OM] FOTOFEST, OM-3TI AND CONSPICUOUS CONSUMPTION
From: Nicholas Herndon <nherndon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:44:20 -0600
>It actually goes on for more than one weekend.  BB

Yes it does, but tonight is the opening event for the season.  I may
swing by and check it out (hey, it's free).

>The thing is to make the OM-3Ti was very expensive at a time when the world
>was turning to favour production >line and machine made electronic cameras
>(your apparently one of those people, which is fine, but show some >respect
>for the folk that appreciate mechanical cameras!). It took someone at the
>factory to pull an OM-4Ti >chassis off the line and build each OM-3Ti by hand,
>even then it is said they were still sold at a loss...

Now I <i>really</i> want an OM-3Ti.  You guys are jerks :).
But...like Chris, I have a hard time justifying "conspicuous
consumption."  However, I had the opposite experience of Chris growing
up.  My family didn't have a lot, and my parents were extremely
frugal, but there was much love and laughter.  And that frugality
never left me.  Now my wife and I are blessed to be able to live well
within our means, and I try not to spend too much on my hobby.  I
don't purchase any new photo gear without first selling some, and try
not to keep redundant gear (e.g. I just got rid of my Nikkormat setup
because I didn't want two film SLR systems).  So while I lust after an
OM-3Ti, I know I'll never get one UNLESS I find one for super cheap :)
or in bad shape that is priced accordingly.  In that case I'll pay the
money, then spend to have it overhauled.  And you better believe I
would use it too!
That said, I've been saving and I now have $1k to spend on camera
gear--that is far and away more than I've ever spent at one time on
camera gear.  The OMZ 24/2 is on my short list (as we discussed
before), and after that it's a toss up...I wouldn't mind getting an
Oly EPL-1, but I have a hard time paying full price for digital gear,
since it will plummet in value in just a year.  So maybe another OMZ,
like the 50/1.2, but those are so dang expensive and I have a late SN#
50/1.4 that basically does the same thing.  So I might just end up
buying the one lens and putting the rest in savings anyway!