Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds

Subject: Re: [OM] Best of Both Worlds
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 08:48:23 -0500
Smurf Moose wrote:

> The problem is clear. The solution of going to an E-1 or to specific
> films, not so attractive.

Ah, but you might not want to. Not all Canon cameras are so afflicted with
color blindness. Some are, some aren't. I'm not going to give you any hints,
though as to whether yours is or isn't.  If you haven't figured out the
limitations of your camera by now, you never will.  :)

But I will say this--the classic 5D ain't no slouch.

There is a more general solution available in post. Later version of PS
> include a color match function, which was, I believe included for
> exactly the sort of issues you are talking about. The problem of the
> flowers and dress that should match are exactly what many color
> production people have to control.

You are absolutely right. However, here's the rub--it requires post
processing with masking on each and every photograph that you need to
correct. For the landscape/flower photographer, it's no big deal as the
quantity of photos from any one session are not that great. But for the
wedding photographer, we might be talking about 500 photographs that need to
be corrected.

At issue is that you cannot automate the process in many situations. The
imager/film converted the lavender or purple flower to blue. But there are
other blue objects in the same photograph. When you do a color match to
correct for the flowers, the other objects will also shift. This forces us
into masking.

In nearly every case, with digital the shifting occurs due to a hyperactive
IR cut filter on the sensor. Astronomy photographers are well aware of the
cut wavelengths for nearly every camera and film out there.

AG