Re: [OM] reducing image noise

Subject: Re: [OM] reducing image noise
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 14:46:31 -0500
> Please note that this won't work on daylight WB high ISO pictures... Also,
> 80A filter on the lens with the WB setting at daylight will definitely
> improve the pictures straight from the camera -- at the severe cost of
> almost two stops :-(

It reduces by two stops, but on the flip side, I've personally found that
the image noise is much less disturbing than if you correct the
white-balance in post.

But what really causes me to check into the Bates Motel are these
metal-vapor (mercury or sodium vapor) lights that have zero blue content to
the spectrum. Any blue recovery you do in post is artificial and rebuilding
a derived color which isn't there. Talk about nasty stuff for photography.

AG