Re: [OM] Mouse Tracks

Subject: Re: [OM] Mouse Tracks
From: "Ian Manners" <oice500@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 23:31:00 +1100 (EDT)
Hi Jim,

> A couple of months ago, when my old roller-ball mouse was suffering from old
> age, I
bought a Microsoft optical mouse.  Since it was touted to work on any surface,
I tossed
my mouse pad and have been using it on the lacquered wood desk top.  Recently,
have noted that the area where the mouse resides is covered with
millimeter-sized
lighter spots.

I have seen this on my wifes desk as well, she uses a logitec mouse
beside her Mac keyboard, when I disassembled her mouse I found
a lot of light brown 'gunk' mixed in with what I assume is hand cream.

>From what I could figure out the heat of the laser aids in lifting the
desktop plastic laminate coating along with the scrapping of the
mouse as she has also managed to lose the friction pads from
the bottom of the mouse as well. I grabbeda Dell mouse pad from
my collect (some pads work fine with optical, some dont) which now
sits over the very stippled looking smooth area of my wifes desk.
In fact its so smooth I had to use contact cement to help keep the
mouse pad in place, I also glued some new friction pads to the
mouse (available at a lot of online computer supplies or take
them off old mice)

The problem isnt as pronounced with modern laser/lsd mice as
you will notice on the later models the light dims until you move
the mouse.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Drive Not Ready--(R)etry, (G)oto Impulse, (C)all Ian