[OM] OM-2S Shutter Firing Sequence

Subject: [OM] OM-2S Shutter Firing Sequence
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:28:12 -0500
We've discussed this before, but I'm needing a refresher.

What exactly is the shutter firing sequence for the OM-2S and is it
different between Program Mode, Aperture Priority Mode and Manual Mode?

Here is what I THINK happens in Program Mode--please correct.

1. Shutter-release is pressed.
2. Aperture actuator arm in camera closes down lens to smallest F-Stop
allowed by len's aperture ring
3. Mirrors swing up
4. Exposure reading begins
5. If in Program Mode, the aperture actuator arm adjusts to new F-Stop.
6. Curtain Opens
7. Film Exposed
8. When sufficient light has hit film, Curtain Closes
9. Mirrors return to down position.

Here is what I THINK happens in Aperture Priority Mode--please correct.

1. Shutter-release is pressed.
2. Aperture actuator arm in camera closes down lens to the F-stop set on the
lens.
3. Mirrors swing up
4. Exposure reading begins
5. Curtain Opens
6. Film Exposed
7. When sufficient light has hit film, Curtain Closes
8. Mirrors return to down position.

Here is what I THINK happens in Manual Exposure Mode--please correct.

1. Shutter-release is pressed.
2. Aperture actuator arm in camera closes down lens to the F-stop set on the
lens.
3. Mirrors swing up
5. Curtain Opens
6. Film Exposed
7. Curtain Closes
8. Mirrors return to down position.

It is my screwed up understanding that the main difference between the OM-2S
and the other OM bodies is that the Aperture actuator arm is activated
BEFORE the mirror goes up, whereas on the others it goes up either at the
same time or just after the mirror goes up. The sequence of events with the
OM-2S is definitely longer than that of the OM-3Ti and OM-4Ti and induces a
substantial shutter-lag as a result. I'm just trying to grasp what these
differences in sequences really are.

AG