Re: [OM] Re LEICA M6 Titanium.

Subject: Re: [OM] Re LEICA M6 Titanium.
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 08:51:18 -0500
> Yes... I'd like to build myself a device for measuring the shutter lag of
> cameras -- I have no doubt about the light sensor on the back of the
> shutter, and the timing device, but I don't know how to start counting, or
> detect the finger on the button...

It probably wouldn't be all that difficult if you use sound for measurement.
Using a digital recording software like Audacity, use a decent quality
microphone placed next to the camera. You will need some plunging device on
the shutter-release that makes a sound as it strikes the button. Hmm.  Just
a common solenoid should do. The sound of the solenoid will be the start of
the measurement.  I would use a long shutter time, like a half-second or
longer so you can differentiate the sounds of opening and closing. Then with
the editor, it's a very easy task to top-and-tail the audio (remove the
silence at both ends) and measure the milliseconds right on the time-line.

Easy as pie.

> >The OM is bad in that regard even by SLR standards.
> >Its shutter lag is enormous Compared to many other SLRs, like my Nikon F4.

The OM-2S is really laggy, but I don't agree about the others. The OM system
is not quite as swift as a couple of cameras--I think the Canon F was quite
good, but not horrid.  The F4 is a really nice camera, but it's metering
system is as inconsistent from camera to camera as has probably ever been
made.

>But I think the OM-4 series, with the extra mirror inside, are somewhat
slower than the classic OM-1/1n/2/2n.

I don't think it has anything to do with the sub-mirror. The way things are
hinged, the sub-mirror should actually beat the main mirror to the up
position. If I recall, the sub-mirror is up against the main-mirror by the
time the main-mirror is 2/3 of the way up. Any delay in initial acceleration
should be offset a little bit by the additional push of the sub-mirror in
the final bit of travel. And John may correct me, but I believe that the
mirror spring is stronger in the 2S, 3 and 4 series cameras.

>However, that sluggish action means less shock/vibration also.

I've always thought that myself. The OM-2S seemed to give me many more sharp
pictures with longer focal-lengths than the OM-1 and OM-2. I've not compared
to the 3Ti and 4T as they seem to be different amongst themselves.

AG