[OM] 5D2 - onwership update no 3

Subject: [OM] 5D2 - onwership update no 3
From: SwissPace <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:17:40 +0200
For the last few weeks its been lying unused, the fact is it's just
easier to pick up and use the E-3 although I hope to have time to use it
this weekend.

I have now installed the eyepiece and a split focussing screen from
China, have the cheapo canyon 50/1.8 and a screen protector. I also
ordered a second adapter from another supplier to see if the quality was
any better than the existing one.

I can't believe I am so much fussier than you guys but I find the
focussing screen bright in the clear circle but quite dark over the rest
which gives me difficulty framing indoors it is definitely no OM3
screen, I will test more over the Easter  weekend. The adapters are no
where near the olympus quality and when fitted to the  lens there is
about half a mm play in the movement in the adapter when clicked  and I
find I am regularly having to tweak the 3 springs to keep the play down
(and hence focus accuracy) in the other plane which may be caused by the
adapter being slightly too big for the lens - the  new one is the same.
I wonder if the quality of the newer adapters is not the same as earlier
ones or maybe people are just using the wide angle zuiko's with them.

I still like the look and colours which coupled with the  depth of field
give me closest look to film but I am beginning to regret my decision as
the E-3 is not that far behind it or the E-1 ;-) which I wish I had kept
and much easier to use with the digital zuikos, so now I guess I either
sell the 5D2 and buy a small micro four thirds body OR sell some zuiko
glass and buy a couple of canyon AF lenses and hope katzeye do a screen
for it soon.

The other minus point is the size of the raw files and I haven't seen
any tests comparing sraw1 and sraw2 with the latest firmware and as I
have no time myself I am continuing to shoot raw, I now have a work
around for this problem however with aperture now allowing easy multiple
library management

Saying that the 5D2 has other features which helped my reasoning when I
bought it i.e. video which as yet remains unexplored.

IanW