Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alic

Subject: Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alicante]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 22:42:23 -0700
On 3/30/2010 6:55 AM, Sue Pearce wrote:
> Moose, Don't expect anything from HP but heartache. ... If I never own
> another HP product, I will die happy.

Ah well. It's funny how one may fall into a pattern. My scanners and
primary digicams are Canon, MF 35mm was always Oly for decades, dot
matrix, then color printers Epson.

  ... And, I've been using HP laserjets since shortly after the first
one came out, both at work and at home.

Doing massive financial analysis during an LBO, I had 3-4 of them going
full blast all day every day for over ten days without a hitch. I even
wrote a tiny assembler program to sent PCL to set them up before all
apps had proper drivers that worked its way around and outside of the
company.

I've never had any support troubles, although mostly, I suppose, 'cause
they have been so reliable. Although I don't like it, I can understand
why they wouldn't want to go back and update a driver for a several year
old printer to a 64 bit OS. After all, the printer cost less than $100
and still works with all the current 32 bit versions of Windoze.

Part of the reason it was cheap is that the driver did all the raster
processing on the computer. Thus a rewrite might be a lot of work. I
suppose if they had the old code, were still using the same programming
system and had someone around who remembered, it might be easy, but
that's a big if. If I'd bought a smarter, more expensive one running PCL
on the printer, it would still be usable on W7-64. This one says it
supports PCL3 in the printer.

I sympathize with your PS problem, but I think they are more likely to
keep up with OS changes than those of a single app, no matter how
significant.

I did a lot of reading of user reviews. The seem to pile up at top and
bottom. Those at the top praise it. Of those at the bottom, a few got
bad ones, a few bought the wrong printer for their needs and the rest
are those who either are completely unable to follow directions or
aren't happy without something to complain about.

Based on the fit between specs and my desires, it's far the best choice
on paper. So I'm taking the plunge.

A few weeks ago, and a couple of times before that, I tried to find a
good price on a decent 'n' router. Reading the user reviews, you'd think
they were all crap, even the expensive ones. Same pattern as for the HP,
lots of happy people, not quite as many unhappy ones. I sort of decided
that the proportion of those who have trouble who write about it is much
higher than those who are happy.

After all, if all the major brands and models were that bad, it would be
common knowledge, and a scandal, but in fact, about 1/3 of US households
have a Wi-Fi/router, and the majority must work. So I gave up worrying
and bought a Linksys refurb. Worked fllwlessly out of the box, required
one check-box change when I moved from DSL to cable and I couldn't be
happier with it.

Moose