Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Ali

Subject: Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alicante]
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2010 09:44:55 -0500
I feel so unworthy.

I thought my laptop was going to become landfill fodder a couple years ago,
but it keeps chugging and chugging and chugging. A friend of mine was joking
that it's probably being held together with Band-Aids. I turned it over and
showed him the patches of moleskin that I put on it to replace the rubber
feet that fell off. It's running XP and all of my photo applications.

Brand?  Gateway.  The case and everything is junk--the screen falls over on
its own and flickers when in a spot that it doesn't fall over. The CD/DVD
drive will open and close on its own--the only thing missing from the odd
behavior is green slime and chilled air.  I keep thinking the thing is dead,
but it keeps reappearing like Abe Vigoda.

Meanwhile, at work, we have a zillion HP and Compaq computers and printers.
The cases are fine, the screens don't tip over and the CD/DVD drives don't
do wierd things in the night. Even the USB ports work correctly.  Everything
that is wrong with my Gateway is fine with the HPs. Too bad the computers
keep crashing and we have unending issues with reliability.

HP laser printers have always been rock solid in my experience. Never an
issue with them other than the color ones which jam all the time and our big
momma printer that breaks down every other week.

In a back room, we have this one DFX5000 Epson dot-matrix printer that
handles circuit order printouts from the "baby bell" here. We've averaged
two boxes of paper a week since the late 1980's through this thing with
hardly a problem.  Well kinda sorta. About six months ago we had a paper-jam
to end all paper jams. We had probably the better part of a hundred meters
of paper piled up INSIDE the printer. That ended up bending a few things. We
replaced nearly every mechanical in the printer but it never worked right
again. We finally scored a DFX5000+ out of somebody's computer landfill,
transferred a few of the new parts from the old printer to this one and got
it working.  Other than the semi-weekly paper loading and an occasional
ribbon replacement, it just grinds away....

AG