Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alic

Subject: Re: [OM] New computers [was IMG: Nathan's PAW 12: some London, some Alicante]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:00:59 -0700
On 4/1/2010 7:10 AM, Sue Pearce wrote:
> Wow, Moose, what a lot of words. I suspect that if you had to keep two
> versions of PS loaded to account for a really big company with really deep
> pockets to continue to sell a product today that works with a MAJOR program
> from several YEARS ago, you wouldn't be so happy.

Not about being happy or otherwise. Just telling, in too much detail, I
suppose, why your unpleasant experience with an application specific
plug-in for an expensive photo printer may not be relevant to my
purchasing decision for a $90, general purpose inkjet, which needs only
an OS level driver. If I were looking to replace the Epson R1800, your
words would weigh a lot more with me.

If it is a plug-in for PS, have you tried copying it to the appropriate
folder for the later PS version and seeing if it works? PS just looks
into the add-on/plug-in folders when it starts and loads what it finds
there. I don't recall anything about plug-in incompatibilities in
general from CS2 to CS4. Certainly I'm using some from before that, at
least as old as PS7, in CS4 without trouble. When I install a new
version of PS, I copy all the old plug-ins and such into the new
folders. None have failed so far.

Might it simply be that the HP installer doesn't recognize the later PS
names, so doesn't think it can put the plug-in in the correct place, and
gives up?

Were I in your shoes, and the above doesn't work, I'd try color
profiling my printer and papers and using that approach to matching
prints to screen. That's probably what the HP plug-in did anyway, in
effect, apply profiles they did in their labs. There are probably
profiles out on the HP site or elsewhere on the web for the 9180 and
papers commonly used with it.

MS dropped the application launch toobar that came with Office '97
several versions ago that I first used in Win 95 or 98. I'm still using
it on Win7, even though MS support would say it isn't supported or
compatible. I can't drag and drop on the toolbar anymore, but can drag
and drop into the correct sub-directory.

> Perhaps you own stock in HP?

Nah. If the best match of price, operating cost and desired features
were a printer from a different maker, that's what I would buy.

Moose