Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:08:12 -0700
On 4/6/2010 2:41 PM, Ken Norton wrote:
> ...  It's a real sleeper of a lens--probably among the sharpest lenses ever
> made in the OM mount.

Sigh.

Amazing how a lens that many here have praised forever can somehow be a
sleeper - an under valued, under appreciated lens, when you finally try
one and find what so many have known for ages.

Just 'cause you didn't know, and apparently didn't believe anybody else,
including Gary's tests, doesn't mean it was necessarily a sleeper to
anybody but you. As Gary pointed out, one of its special qualities is
the even performance across apertures, which frees up the photographer
in important ways.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you have found your latest nirvana, and
hope you get many great images with it. It is a great lens and I'm glad
it excites you. But is the hyperbole needed? Would it kill you to say
something like "Wow!, All you folks who have praised this lens are
right, it IS a step up from what came before."

Next, maybe you need to try a Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 50/1.4. ;-)
(Do I have that right; fully spelled out version better than later,
"SMC" version?) That one is famous even outside of Pentax circles.

> Other than focal-length and aperture, I don't think it bears ANY resemblance
> to the previous generations.

Hmmmm ... So you wrote all those detailed commentaries on various
vintages of 50/1.4, making comparisons of super sharp center and soft
edges in the oldest vs. better overall quality across the frame, but
unfortunately with some lost center sharpness ... early, middle and late
SC, early and late MC and yada, yada, yada without including the final,
generally acknowledged best of breed version?

> It has a few bad habits in the bokeh department,

Yup, like all their 50s I've used. Certain combos of subject and
background distances aren't pleasing. It's noticeable in an OM
viewfinder, but often there's not much to be done to avoid it unless
subject of background is movable.

> but otherwise is near perfect.

  Yup.
> AG (very happy he found his 6cm holder for the enlarger) Schnozz

Goodie!

A. Testy Moose