Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?

Subject: Re: [OM] Dude - Who stole my 0.56ms?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 20:29:45 -0700
On 4/9/2010 6:50 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> The problem with Moose's driving is not that he can't adequately control the
> car but rather that he can't control the up-close and in-your-face
> surroundings and other drivers in his Berkeley environment.  40-50 mph
> on a very tight, twisting and winding road is fine

LOL! I do doubt we ever got up to 40 in the tight places.

>   except in Berkeley where there is just barely room for two lanes of traffic
> with other cars lining both sides of the road parked head to tail.

Mostly not room for two lanes away from the main roads unless no one is
parked.

> It all works well until another car or a pedestrian or bicyclist suddenly
> emerges unexpectedly from  a driveway or side of the road parking spot or a
> tire blows or there's some sand or oil on the road... or... whatever.  There
> is no room for error or unexpected events in Moose's driving.  He's been very
> lucky so far.

I've never been an accident that was not clearly the other person's
fault. I've been rear ended twice while stopped, once at a red light
downtown and once in a Bay Bridge toll gate. Nowhere near the hills. The
one time I was hit in the hills was in clear, dry daylight on a road
more than wide enough for the two cars. I have no real idea what the
girl was doing or how she lost control. I had time and wit to be at a
stop and right up against the railing on my right - then just waited for
the bang.

I waited for a cop. He took one look at the cars and the dirt and rust
dropped on the street and said I was stopped and she was on the wrong
side of the road and hit me, and cited her. Funny thing was that I was
driving an orange Porsche and she an orange Karmann-Ghia. They looked
like different aged siblings. Fortunately, the fenders on the 911 are
both sturdier and can be simply be unbolted and replaced. Pulling the
one piece front of the VW back into shape must have been quite a job.

It was, of course, her boyfriend's car and he didn't want to make a
claim against his insurance and maybe lose it. I think they paid my
insurance company off over time.

> Listen to Moose on lenses and other things photographic.  If he were my
> brother I'd say, just as Click&  Clack the tappet brothers say; "Don't drive
> like my brother!"  :-)

Oh yeah!

A. J. Moose