Re: [OM] 90/2, zoom vs. prime and stuff [was Dude, who cares about .56m

Subject: Re: [OM] 90/2, zoom vs. prime and stuff [was Dude, who cares about .56ms?]
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 08:49:54 -0500
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:15 PM, John Hudson <OM4T@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is there any informed comment / experience out there in OM list land about
> combining a 90 / f2 with an E3 and what can be achieved image wise ?
>
> Does anyone have any images for view taken with a 90 / f2 and an E3 ?

John,
I have recent images with that combination, but none webbed out at the
moment.  One "extra-photographic" comment:  the E-3 is great in live
view and manual mode with the 90/2 (or any Z), as once a shutter speed
is selected, the correct stop can be selected by examining overall
brightness on the LCD.  No more worries about weird metering
characteristics with non-DZ lenses on the E-3.  Wonderful!

With flower photography, I rarely shoot more open than f5.6.  If the
frame is well-filled with the flower body, even f16 will often produce
such a relatively shallow COC that the famous bokeh characteristics
are still very evident.  I often bracket at f5.6, 8, and 11.  Very
often I prefer the image with the lens stopped down.  I guess I'm not
a huge fan of bokeh for bokeh's sake.

Virtually all of the flower photos in the following link are E-1 (not
E-3) and 90/2.

http://myweb.uiowa.edu/jfwilcox/IRNP/album/Tobin%20Harbor/index.html

Probably none was shot more open than f5.6 and most would have been at
f8 or f11.  I try to find some time to post more recent images with
the E-3.

Joel (F64) W.