[OM] Zuiko 50 1.4 revisited

Subject: [OM] Zuiko 50 1.4 revisited
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 10:27:41 -0500
So, I find out that the recently acquired lens was essentially stolen from
Bill's active camera bag and now he's having to break open a mint in-box
version if he wants to shoot 50mm.   I'm feeling pretty bad about that.

Really.

(snork)

Anyway, I've found a new really great application for the lens. Daughter #1
is now in track and the meets are ending pretty much in the dark under the
field lights, so her final running event is usually in that "ain't enough
ISO in the world for this" category. Enter the 50mm F1.4 lens.  What is
incredible is how sharp this lens is wide-open. Any fuzzies aren't the fault
of the lens, but focus accuracy. But even stopped down to F2.8, I'm still
almost a full stop faster than the 14-54 at same focal length while giving
myself enough DoF to cover focus sloppiness.

Honestly, I believe the contrast and color of the images from this lens are
better than the 14-54, which is absolutely no slouch.

My only issue last night was the intermittent rain showers. The E-1 was
fine, and based on past experience, I'm not really all that concerned about
the classic Zuikos. But like an idiot, I had the lens hood in the other
camera bag so I had to work at keeping raindrops off the front element.

Thanks, Bill.  I asked if you had an "extra" (knowing that you are Tom
Scales 2.0), but I wasn't expecting you to send me your primary copy of the
lens.

AG (trying to start a run on 50/1.4 lenses on eb*y) Schnozz