Re: [OM] OT - Panny GF-1 LCD hood?

Subject: Re: [OM] OT - Panny GF-1 LCD hood?
From: "richard mcgrath" <richardinvermont@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 21:26:56 -0400
Chris,

The hood arrived today by registered air mail from Hong Kong.   1st the
negatives:
1) you have to allow a couple weeks for delivery.  I ordered and paid for it
(PayPal) on 06 April.  My guess is their airplanes are powered by pigeons.
2) when you order one, specify that they send it in a box, not just a
bubble-pack envelope.  Mine arrived undamaged in the latter, but I would
feel much more comfortable with the box.

...and the positives:
1) it fits perfectly onto the hotshoe.  There is no latch, but the fit is
close enough so it won't come off unless you work at it.  In normal use,
don't worry about the non-latch.
2) the hood shades the LCD from the sun well enough that you can photograph
the icons that appear around the screen edges with the hood in place.  With
no hood, good luck.
3) it folds up easily and snaps shut.  The sides are spring loaded so
opening & closing the hood is a one-hand operation.
4) I'm not an expert on sub-sets of plastic, but my guess is something with
the qualities of both telephone plastic and Lexan.  The parts appear to be
die cast.  The fit to the Pany GF1 is what you would expect from a good
piece of industrial design, well engineered and manufactured by
professionals who know what they're doing.
5) installed on the camera the hood adds about 1/4" of thickness on the LCD
side.  It does not impinge on the screen.  You can easily read all the icons
that appear at the screen edges.  Nor does it cover the buttons.  All the
buttons are still 100% functional.

Commentary: I have a Pentx *istDS with a Delkin Pop-up hood over the LCD.
In all respects, this hood is comparable to the Delkin.  For me, an LCD hood
not only makes life easier in full sunlight, but with the GF1 (very small
camera, very big screen) there is an endless battle trying to keep
fingerprints off the screen. When closed the hood provides  genuine
protection, not only from fingerprints, but from much more...this is a
substantial thing. Spend $25 US dollars (free shipping). The eBay number is:
220549176154.
Richard