Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser

Subject: Re: [OM] Zooms at Dawn - the 50mm shootout - Teaser
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 20:37:43 -0700
On 4/20/2010 3:07 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks.  I had the instructions but, of course, didn't bother to read them.
> Yours are a better copy so I took the opportunity to replace mine.

I have an original, but it's still not all that easy to read. Back when
I scanned it, I didn't have OCR software; now I do.

Perhaps you will find this Word document copy more useful. I do.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/VIV2xMacro/Vivitar_TeleMacro.doc>

> I did find the bellows/slide copier and after a moment of confusion finally
> figured out that the tripod mounting slide was obscured by the slide copier
> attachment.  I can tell I haven't used that equipment for a long time.  I
> need to get one of those 4-way thingies from ebay.

LOL Mine is also sitting with the slide copier mounted, along with 80/4,
so it's ready to go. Fortunately, I still remember how it works. :-D

I have one of those 4-way thingies from China mounted on a tripod with
5D attached, just waiting for this couple of days of tricky weather to
pass. I had to add a stake to hold the big, white bearded iris upright
after the rain, wind and a bit of hail.

> Anyhow, all was for naught so far.  I had waited until later in the afternoon
> and the wind had died down.  I went over to the neighbor's yard to shoot some
> crabapple blossoms.  But no sooner did I get started than the wind picked
> back up and made an absolute mess of anything I tried.  I had been shooting
> at about 1:1 based on the image size.  Maybe I'll do something to stay inside
> out of the wind if I'm going to go large.  I also need a better camera
> support.  There's no way to do a vertical shot with the setup I have. The
> camera and lens just sag on down toward mother earth.

I do have the goods, but large and heavy they are, Bogen/Manfrotto 3236,
15# tripod and 3047 head (Both renamed and/or replaced by now.) They
will hold any camera equipment I have steady, all right. Still, what
were they thinking when they designed this head? It will only flop to
the side for portrait orientation in the direction where the weight of
the lens tries to unscrew the tripod screw from the camera. Makes no
sense to me.

The 410 geared head I mostly use has the same design flaw. Lovely head,
but the camera keeps trying to unscrew, especially with something like
the 150-500/5.6 on it.

To counteract that problem, I have an old Stroboframe Vertaflip, which
easily rotates the camera while keeping it over the center of the
tripod/head. Mine is an old model, that isn't rigid enough for the whole
camera, lens and dual axis focusing rail(4-way thingie). It holds it,
but not without a bit of flex. The current Stroboflex Vertaflip PHD
looks like it is much more sturdy.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/52783-REG/Stroboframe_300_115_Vertaflip_PHD_On_Tripod_Camera.html>

There are other brands, but for more money.

Something like that is really the answer to allow use of a reasonable
size and weight tripod.

Hmmm... Why did I hang everything on the Vertaflip? I can make it the
last, top part of the pile of gear that holds and aims the camera.

Moose - bustles off to rearrange gear.