Re: [OM] IMG: walkabout in Valencia

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: walkabout in Valencia
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 17:14:16 +1000
They were polite. Wow.
I once visited Lake Mungo in south central Aus. on a Museum (of
Victoria) sponsored trip with the person (Jim Bowler) who discovered
Australia's oldest burial there - 27,000 years. It's very arid land
with dry salt lakes now (Wilandra system) but was a thriving wetland
up to about 15,000BCE. The local tribe gave their permission for the
trip but watched every move made with something a bit stronger than
skepticism. We were being VERY polite indeed. When someone in the camp
suggested that the burial itself of badly cremated bones in a conical
pit was at least consistent with cannibalism, there was a very awkward
silence followed by a rapid change of subject.
The people of that area assume that archaeologists and anthropologists
are attempting to purloin human remains (with good reason, from past
experience) and regard the scientific account of aboriginal settlement
of Australia as being quite deranged.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx