Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness

Subject: Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:08:43 -0500

> The prismless design is a breakthrough.  I don't know whether to blame
> Oly for not working harder to bridge the gap between marketing and
> understanding or just the fickle tastes of the Great Unwashed.

I believe the evidence shows that Olympus is aiming their products to the
Great Unwashed. As such, anything too different or "traditional" is bound to
be soundly rejected in favor of some black plastic blob that at a glance
resembles a steaming dog pile. Of course, Apple has found a way to do
different, so maybe it has to do with something else.

 Pssst.  I have never yet known anyone who sold the 14-54 who did not
> appear later to regret it (though 50 listees are prolly about to come
> out of lurkdom to tell me I'm wrong).  You might want to wait a little
> bit -- just a thought!

Yeah, we'll see. But I'm not wanting any more duplication than absolutely
necessary. For instance, on our next Isle Royale or U.P. outing, would you
haul both around on your back for miles and miles of hiking trails? But I do
recognize that the 14-54 is a remarkable lens. I suspect that both lenses
have strengths. We've been doing tests involving the 12-60, 14-54, 50-200,
35-80 and some primes, and I'd definitely pick the 14-54 over the 12-60.
However, in the overlap focal-lengths, I'd pick the 35-80 over both in a
heartbeat. It will be interesting to see how the 14-50 stacks up against
them.

> In any case, enjoy!

Thanks. I'll be putting it to extremely heavy use over the next two weeks.
That time of year again... Next monday and tuesday, I'll probably shoot in
the neighborhood of 3000 pictures. I've FINALLY gotten a backup FourThirds
camera!  Whahoo. I'm figuring the body is costing me $150 so that's well
worth it just as a backup. If I end up not liking it, it's gone. If I do
keep it, well, maybe it's a good testimonial.

I like history, and I also like to watch what stands the test of time.
Sadly, when it comes to FourThirds, I suspect that only a very small handful
of cameras will have desirability years from now and I suspect that the L1
will be one of them. In the long line of Olympus OM products, the sought
after bodies aren't the OM-10, 20, 30, 40, 77, 88, 2000... Canon's EOS film
line is another good example to draw from. Other than the 1V (and varients)
quick, name three bodies worth seeking out?

Hey, at least I'm finally buying something from the last half of the decade!

AG (recycler) Schnozz