Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness

Subject: Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 11:41:48 -0500
Jim, the Mk2 version is labeled as such, along with SWD or whatever, and I
think has a blue-ring or something on it. I too have the original version.
The second version has some improvements to it but unless focus speed is an
issue, there is little reason to upgrade. I know I just got done
trash-talking the 14-54 but it is an indicator of overall quality that it
remained the only DZ lens I felt necessary to buy. Olympus did well with the
design spec of that lens. I know, through careful testing, that any blurries
are either misfocus or camera shake, not the lens itself. I'm hoping that
the Leica 14-50 is at least the optical equal to the DZ 14-54.

We'll find out in a couple of days--I hate waiting...

There is a scenario that I'm thinking of where I might not get rid of the
14-54. If the 14-50 isn't weathersealed, that might be a consideration.
Also, my 14-54 is not a prestine example. I've USED this lens mightely and
has that patina of a well-used piece of gear. Oh, and there is that tiny
scratch in the front element--which has absolutely no effect on image
quality but is there. We'll see. It is entirely possible that the Leica lens
is a dog and I won't like it. I'm a picky guy about these things.

AG