Re: [OM] ATTN: Houston Folks and weird marks on my pics

Subject: Re: [OM] ATTN: Houston Folks and weird marks on my pics
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:59:14 -0400
A shutter string (those that actuate the shutter, not those comprising
the fabric) can also show up as "string" on the film when the first
curtain bounces back at end of travel.  This from the "Olympus FAQS"
  12) Some OM-2S's have a problem called "flying shutter strings" where
the strings that operated the shutter get loose and fly up in front of
the film. This results in odd dark shadows in pictures taken with one of
these cameras. Here is one way to test a used camera for the problem
(thanks to John Hermanson): Mount a T32 in hot shoe (set to high auto
setting), set the camera to manual 1/60 (not mechanical 1/60), open the
camera back, place a piece of while translucent paper across the film
plane. Fire camera at close white background. You should eventually be
able to see the shadow of the string on the paper.

This can also happen with OM-4s.  More illumination from Clint
You're describing curtain string bounce.  The first curtain is slamming
to a stop (instead of being gradually braked to a stop), then bouncing
back slightly.  In some situations the curtain string then loops up into
the focal aperture casting a shadow on the image.

The first curtain brakes need to be tightened, and possibly the brake
spring bent tighter as well.  Not a do-it-yourself proposition, sorry to
say -- if the brake spring slips off the eccentric, a relatively easy
repair suddenly becomes quite difficult.

Chuck Norcutt