Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness

Subject: Re: [OM] One horrible moment of weakness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:20:57 -0500
Well, even more time and experience with the camera...

I know there is supposed to be a bad side to it somewhere, but so far I'm at
a loss as to what it is. Honest.

Image quality?  Good enough to buy me time for a while. Effectively, it's
giving me what appears to be about twice the resolution of the E-1. The AA
filter is not only very fine, but is a dead match to the default "sharpen"
in PWP. Unlike the E-1, this one will go pixel-sharp.

Did you know that it will give focus confirmation with legacy lenses and the
standard Oly OM-43 adaptor?

Size-wise, the camera is a bit of a pig, but not uncomfortably so.  Sitting
next to an OM body it's large, but it handles very well. Actually, it
probably handles a lot like a Mamiya 6 or Mamiya 7.

Corey and I spent some time with it this morning working through some of the
nuances and we found that it matched or even beat the E-3 in mutiple areas.
For example, in live-view, it just plain works better and without the lag.
Liveview on the E-3 seems to be a step behind but the L1 was fine.

Autofocus? The 14-50 matched, if not beat the E-3 with 12-60 in florescent
lighting--this is with the IR turned off. The lens focuses very fast, even
on the E-1. The autofocus just doesn't hunt unless it's really dark.

I've got more handling experience with it now. In fact, I'm just taking a
short break to download images and examine them. But those unfortunate
switches so easily bumped???  I'm convinced that they are absolutely
brilliant. This is a camera that does NOT get in your way. Intuitive and
quick to adjust to changing needs. Want to go from matrix to spot-metering?
flip the switch. Spot back to matrix or averaging? flip the switch. No
button pressing and wheel turning. You just do it. This is the way cameras
are supposed to be designed. If you just want a camera that you can jab the
shutter-release and go, then you'd probably fight some of these things, but
for those of us who try to adapt ourselves to the changing needs, this
camera just flows with you.

The images do have that flattened "CMOS Look" to them, but I can bend them
pretty good in the editor.

As to the lens, still early going there. I'm working through some tests. It
does have a LOT more barrell distortion than the 14-54 and it appears to not
be as sharp on the edges wide-open, but the differences on the bad side are
minimal at best.

One thing I was concered with was the lens interferring with the hex plate.
Not to worry. The tripod screw is placed far back and the front corner of
the hex plate does not extend past the front of the body.

Oh, Corey got the 25/1.4 lens. I spent a little quality time with it....
Major drool.
AG